Assisting Families by Providing Temporary Care Giving Relief
CAPITAL DISTRICT RESPITE
We are responsible for ensuring that services are meted out as outlined in the child’s service plan. We work closely with the referral source to achieve a positive outcome.
WHAT WE DO
- Provide respite and skill building, family support, special needs advocacy, pre-vocational and crisis services to children and youth with special needs
- Match providers to the child based on interests, geographic location, and experience level.
- Provide flex funds for activities planned for child’s outings.
- Promote a healthy active lifestyle
- Providers follow stated goals to produce measurable outcomes.
- Work closely with family and health care integrators regarding scheduling of outings and updates on progress.
WHO IS WORKING WITH YOUR CHILD
- Professional individuals trained specifically to work with special needs children and youth who are finger printed and cleared through the child abuse registry.
- Trained providers who set limits, define consequences, maintain clear boundaries
and provide positive feedback on the child’s accomplishments.
- Trained providers who focus on the developmental stage of the child to plan community activities to meet the child’s needs.
- Trained providers who communicate with the child’s treatment team as reported to caregivers after each outing.
Meet Our Team
SHEILA WOOD Executive Director
She has worked in the Human Services field since 1998 and her background encompasses working with a wide range of populations including juvenile delinquents, developmentally disabled, traumatic brain injured, emotionally disturbed, mentally ill, at risk youth and medically frail.
Ms. Wood has a Bachelor of Science in Human Development from SUNY Empire State College. Ms Wood has served as a Juvenile Probation Officer for Saratoga County, a Medicaid Service Coordinator for AIM Services, Inc. and also held various positions at the following agencies; Catholic Charities, Montgomery Transitional Services and Lexington Center.
These positions encompassed direct care, prevention, case management and proactive behavioral intervention. Ms. Wood is also certified in CPR and First Aid, eligible to provide Intensive In Home services and is a Train the Trainer ( respite and skill building curriculums).
SHEILA A. WOOD
Ms. Sheila Wood has worked in the Human Services field since 1998 and her background encompasses working with a wide range of populations including juvenile delinquents, developmentally disabled, traumatic brain injured, emotionally disturbed, mentally ill, at risk youth and medically frail ranging in age from toddlers to seniors.
She has worked in the Human Services field for over 10 years.
JOANNA LONG – Program Manager
She has worked in the Human Services field for over 10 years. Ms. Long was employed by Capital Region Boces as a teaching assistant for 13 years. She provided 1:1 and group services to special needs children in the classroom setting. Ms. Long is certified in CPR and First Aid and has completed all mandatory trainings relevant to mental health. Ms. Long has a bachelor of arts degree from SUNY Empire State College. Ms. Long is currently enrolled in a Master’s program at SUNY Empire State College pursuing a degree in Children and Family Services.
SUZANNE E. HAGADORN
Mrs. Hagadorn has worked in the Human Services field since 2002 in Fulton and Montgomery Counties with St. Mary’s Hospital in Amsterdam, as well as Catholic Charities of Fulton and Montgomery Counties. Mrs. Hagadorn has also received training in Breast, Cervical and Colorectal Cancer Screening services and treatment, and Medicaid Treatment Programming.
Consumer Lending Experience Leader
Ms. Luci hold a Bachelors of Science in Accounting with a Minor in Government from Utica College of Syracuse University. She is currently the Branch Manager of SEFCU’s Amsterdam Branch. Ms. Luci is actively involved in her community.
Ms. Annese holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from Siena College. She has also won many awards through her sales efforts as an Independent Sales Director with Mary Kay Cosmetics since 1991. Michelle is also co-owner of Annese & Associate, data communications company with its roots in Herkimer, New York.
Ms. Tambasco has served as the Executive Director of Capital District Respite since its inception as well as worked one on one with serious emotionally challenged youth since 2004 and five years as a Health Educator in the public schools and a private high-risk school for middle and high school students with a 1:13 class ratio
Stephanie Hodgson has been employed in finance since 2002. She is currently employed by Saratoga County as an accounting supervisor. She graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh with a BS in Accounting and received her MBA from the University of Albany in 2010. Ms. Hodgson serves as the Board treasurer for Capital District Respite.